Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Every student can apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The FAFSA can be submitted starting on October 1st of a student’s senior year in high school.  A new FAFSA has to be filled out each subsequent year they are in college.  The FAFSA is available at  Early submission can maximize your chances of receiving aid.  It is best to submit the FAFSA by Dec. 1 since most colleges start awarding financial aid after the 1st of the year.

 A Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID is required for both the student and one parent in order to electronically sign the FAFSA.  The FSA ID can be applied for at the beginning of the FAFSA process.   You will also need your FSA ID if you want to check the status of your FAFSA, make corrections to your information, and fill out a renewal FAFSA the next year.  Record your FSA ID in a safe place where you can access it each year!  Male students who are 18 or older must also register with Selective Service before submitting their FAFSA.

All students should submit a FAFSA.  You may qualify for aid even if you do not think you do.  Also, completing the FAFSA is sometimes a prerequisite for receiving a private award or scholarship.  If you have had any changes in your family’s income in the past year, especially due to Covid-19, be sure to contact your college’s financial aid office so that they can adjust your award accordingly.

There are various types of financial aid, including grants, loans, work-study and scholarships.  A great scholarship search website is which is a free site.  It also lists helpful hints for completing scholarship applications.  The MCC Scholarship Program application will be available to all seniors at the end of March.  The 2021 MCC graduates who received a scholarship through our local program are reminded to submit your paperwork to the MCC Counseling Center by Dec. 15 so that your scholarship funds reach your college account for second semester.

Don’t wait until your son/daughter is a senior before you start thinking about Financial Aid.  If you have questions about financial aid, discuss it with your accountant and contact your college’s financial aid office or check out the resources at MN Office of Higher Education:

Mary Beech

MCC Licensed School Counselor