The Minnesota School Boards Association has set February as Minnesota School Board Recognition Month to build awareness and understanding of the vital function elected school board members play in our society. Murray County Central is joining other public school districts from across the state to celebrate School Board Recognition Month to honor local board members for their commitment to the communities that make up Murray County Central ISD #2169 and its students.
“Strong schools help build strong communities and the Murray County Central School Board devote countless hours to making sure our schools are helping every child learn at a higher level,” Superintendent Joe Meyer said. “School board members make the difficult decisions every month and spend many hours studying education issues and regulations in order to provide the kind of accountability our citizens expect.”
Meyer said the key work of boards is to raise student achievement by:
- Creating a vision for what the community wants the school district to be and for making student achievement the top priority;
- Establishing standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
- Ensuring progress is measured to be sure the district’s goals are achieved and students are learning at expected levels;
- Being accountable for their decisions and actions by continually tracking and reporting results;
- Creating a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
- Forming partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems; and
- Focusing attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to student achievement.
“Even though we’re making a special effort to show our appreciation this month, school board members’ work is a year-round commitment,” Meyer said.
The members serving our district and their years of service are as follows:
Chair – Tony Clarke – 12 years of service, Vice Chair – Robin Gilbertson 6years of service, Treasurer – Sue Streff 14 years of service, Clerk – Lauren Biegler 6 years of service, Director – Heather Hoekman newly elected, and Director – Brent Miller newly elected.
The Board members will be recognized with a pizza meal and certificates at the February board meeting on Monday, February 13th along with public service announcements recognizing and thanking our members for their service.